During the first year, you will follow two mandatory course programs: the Irish and the Welsh program. There are four semesters in a year. Below, you will find an overview of the courses you will be following in your first year.
- Semester 1 Old Irish I Introduction to Celtic Studies
- Semester 2 Old Irish II Middle Welsh I
- Semester 3 Middle Welsh II Literature and History of the Medieval Celts
- Semester 4 Modern Celtic Medieval Irish and Welsh Philology
For the first year, you can find the list of books here:
At the end of your first year, you’ll choose one of two specialisation programs for in your second year. It is advised to follow two courses per semester. As you can see below, there is some space left in the planning. In your free space, you can follow courses of your choice, either courses of the other specialisation program or courses not restricted to the faculty of Celtic Languages and Culture.
- 1. Language Contact and Language Change
- 2. Interpretation and Reinterpretation of Medieval Celtic Texts
Program 1 consists of the following courses:
- Semester 1 Language History of the British Isles
- Semester 2 Historical Grammar of the Celtic Languages
- Semester 3 Modern Celtic Minority Languages
- Semester 4 Language Contact and Language Change
Program 2 consists of the following courses:
- Semester 1 Irish Palaeography
- Semester 2 From Táin to Tolkien and Beyond
- Semester 3 Translating Medieval Irish Texts
- Semester 4 Great Medieval Heroes
For more information on the courses, this site.